January almost always brings the “weight loss resolution.” And, February usually brings frustration and “forget about it!” How can 2013 be different? How can you accomplish your weight loss goals once and for all? I have some ideas.
1. Quit focusing on losing weight (isn’t that counter-intuitive?). Quit focusing on denial and restriction. Focus on eating healthy, whole foods. Don’t think about what you CAN’T have. Don’t think about what you have to remove. Instead, think about what you can add in to your daily nourishment to make you healthier and happier. The one thing I suggest you start adding in is a green smoothie each day! Super simple and delicious. Add in more leafy greens, fresh fruits and colorful veggies. Add in 20 minutes of walking each day. Add in consistent stress reduction. Add in lots of whole foods, as close to natural as possible.
2. Incorporate physical activity into your everyday life. You don’t have to join a gym or drag yourself to a workout you can’t stand. Instead, when you go to a store, don’t park right next to the door. Park further away and then walk briskly. Use the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. Always have pep in your step as that will burn calories without you even thinking about it. Get active with you kids. Go on a bike ride or play tag in the park. Have fun with your physical activity! PLAY!
3. Hydrate. I know…water is boring. But, for weight loss, and for health in general, it’s so very necessary. We all run around the planet totally dehydrated, which causes so many issues with health. And, if you’re drinking anything but water, you’re drinking lots of calories and sugar…neither of which is good for your weight loss goals. So, get a fun water glass/mug/bottle, and start hydrating. You can add lemon or infuse it with fruit to make it more interesting. Remember, this doesn’t mean you can NEVER enjoy a mocha, but any time you want to indulge in something other than water, have a big glass of water along with it so you stay hydrated. (And, keep in mind that the mocha adds calories to your bottom line, and adjust accordingly throughout the day.) Oh, and by the way, the more water you drink, the more you’ll want.
4. Reduce stress. We live in an overly stressed world. If you don’t actively (and purposefully) reduce your stress, your health will be impacted negatively. You will get sick more often due to a weakened immune system. Weight will not fall off because stress keeps weight on. You will be unhappy and irritable. So, get lots of sleep. Practice extreme self care. Breathe deeply. Re-connect with God. Go on date nights with your spouse. Get a massage. Stroll in the park. Stress reduction is so important for weight loss…and often overlooked.
5. Avoid anything that says “diet” on it! Usually, those types of products are full of chemicals and yucky things you don’t want to put in your body. According to NaturalNews.com, “Many so-called “diet” products on the market today contains artificial sweeteners like aspartame (Equal) and sucralose (Splenda), both of which are linked to causing neurological damage, gastrointestinal problems, and endocrine disruption. Many diet products also contain added chemical flavoring agents to take the place of fat and other natural components that have been removed to artificially reduce calorie content. Instead, stick with whole foods that are as close to nature as possible, including high-fat foods grown the way nature intended, and your body will respond surprisingly well.”
Summed up, here is the secret formula for weight loss:
clean eating + stress reduction +PLAY (physical activity) = sustainable weight loss
So, make 2013 your best year ever! You can do it. It’s time to reclaim your health so you can rock your radiance!!