When I can get fresh berries at my local farmers market, I really start getting creative in the kitchen because I love berries! Especially blueberries. And since most of the women I work with want simple, healthy recipes that support weight loss, and many of my clients are new to raw food so they don’t have all the fancy raw food kitchen equipment, I love to find delicious recipes to give them that are simple, quick to prepare, and ones that will support their weight loss goals.
This wonderful breakfast porridge is just such a recipe. In case you’re not familiar with chia seeds, here are a few facts that will help you decide to include them in your eating plan:
- They are a rich source of Omega 3, containing more of the omega 3’s than salmon
- They can help lower blood pressure
- They are very filling, and support weight loss
- They reduce cravings
- Unlike flax seeds, you don’t need to grind them so you can create something delicious even faster
There are many more benefits to including these little jewels in your eating plan, but suffice it to say they are a powerhouse of nutrition. I hope you enjoy this recipe. I absolutely love it and eat it regularly for breakfast, as a snack, or sometimes even for dinner!
Vanilla Blueberry Chia Porridge
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk*
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Vanilla Flavoring or raw vanilla powder
- 2 drops blueberry Medicine Flower essence** (optional)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or other sweetener of choice (if you want to release weight vanilla flavored stevia is a good choice)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
Place chia seeds in bowl and pour milk over them. Add vanilla flavor and medicine flower essence. Soak for 15 minutes in the refrigerator. Remove, fold in fresh blueberries and sweetener.
* You can make your own almond or coconut milk but to keep it simple you may also purchase coconut/almond milk at most grocery stores. If you want to keep this breakfast 100% raw, make your own fresh raw milk or simply use pure water to make the porridge.
**This product isn’t necessary to have a great porridge but if you really want to up your game in your culinary artistry, then check out these organic food flavors offered at http://www.medicineflower.com/flavorextracts.html. Just 1 or 2 drops of these powerful flavorings will enhance your raw dishes like magic!