First you may be wondering what oil pulling is and what benefits it may have. This is not a new age process or new at all. This process called ‘oil pulling’ has been borrowed from the ancient Ayurvedic teachings. It’s not a long process and all you need is 15 minutes to reap the benefits it provides.
In order to begin this process of oil pulling you will need a cold-pressed oil such as sunflower or sesame oil, however one of the most commonly used oils for this process is coconut oil. Since this oil will be swished in your mouth, yes your mouth, for at least 15 minutes I chose coconut oil over the other oils but you can choose any cold-pressed oil.
Before sharing the benefits with you, let me explain the process and how you must do it. Here is a step-by-step guide to this process of oil pulling:
1. Best to perform this process in the morning on an empty stomach; take one tablespoon of your preferred choice of oil and place in your mouth.
2. Swoosh it around your mouth making sure to swish the oil solution within your cheeks and sucking through your teeth. Make sure it touches all the portions of the oral cavity. *DO NOT SWALLOW*
3. It is recommended you do this procedure called ‘oil pulling’ for 15 to 20 minutes. You may be wondering how you will keep this oil in your mouth for such a long period but you can do it while in the shower or doing your hair.
4. Remember it’s important NOT to swallow this mixture since it will become toxic. It’s important to keep in your mouth for at least 15 minutes. You may be tempted to spit it out sooner and you can test it first. It is recommended you keep the oil in your mouth until it you see the oil turn into a white solution.
5. Once you have swooshed the oil in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes, then you can spit out the mixture in the sink or toilet. Rinse your mouth thoroughly and brush your teeth. However if you are using coconut oil, it is best to dispose in a trash can, the coconut will solidify and ruin your plumbing.
Although this procedure seems tedious and useless, the benefits certainly outweigh the small ‘torturous’ swooshing of oil in your mouth. Some benefits that have been reported are:
- Boost in energy
- Increased metabolism
- Decreased joint pain
- Decreased PMS symptoms
- Clearer skin
- Decreased allergies
- Decreased headache symptoms
- Relieve bleeding gums
- Whitens teeth
As you can tell there are definite benefits and many more that I couldn’t possibly share in this post. As an alternative medicine doctor I am always looking for alternative methods and natural remedies to increase my health. I confess that I tried this method years ago and forgot about it until recently reminded by a dear friend. So guess who will be swooshing coconut oil on a regular basis? You guessed it!
A question that I have received is how often to do this procedure. Although there is not a definitive time frame, I performed this procedure for 3 weeks and definitely saw results from it. My energy was increased and my gums looked healthier. So, although I may not perform this oil pulling process every day of my life, I will incorporate into my routine for at least one week out of each month.
Try this procedure and let me know how you feel afterwards. Remember to swoosh in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes and DO NOT swallow the mixture since it will contain the toxins that were ‘pulled’ from your mouth.