Are you feeling sluggish and fatigued? Are you bloated? Do you have digestion issues? Your liver may be on over-load! These are some of the signs and symptoms of a toxic liver. Your body is an amazing machine that requires a lot of love and attention. It is essential to give your body fuel in the form of foods in order for it to function at its optimum level. Unfortunately, as humans we have cravings that our body will ultimately react to in different ways.
The liver is the organ in your body that has many functions but one the main one in particular is detoxification. Everything you eat and drink must be filtered through the liver and it will make the liver’s job easier if you eat foods that will help to cleanse the body.
Below are 15 different foods that will help to detoxify the liver, one of the proteins common to many of these is called glutathione. Glutathione helps to grab a hold of the toxins and removes them from your body. Of course, raw is always best but as long as some of these foods are included into your diet the cleansing will happen.
1. Asparagus – this wonderful anti-inflammatory goodie does more than just help with inflammation, it helps to detoxify the body, protect your from cancer and helps you battle aging. It helps the liver drain which is important to remove the toxins within it.
2. Avocado – this delicious little fruit is loaded with ‘good’ fats and also contains glutathione. Not only will it help to lower your blood pressure it helps to detoxify the liver. There are different ways to enjoy this fruit such as in salads, smoothies or simply with a bit of salt and olive oil.
3. Apples – these are wonderful little fruits filled with lots of vitamins, fiber and nutrients. All of these help with the release of toxins from the body, therefore helping to cleanse the body of unneeded toxins.
4. Brussels Sprouts – these mini-cabbages that are given a bad reputation are truly delicious and nutritious. They are high in sulfur, which helps to remove toxins from the blood. These little sprouts also boost glucosinolate, an antioxidant that forces the liver to release enzymes that block damage.
5. Carrots – along with Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K and B6 and potassium these veggies also contain glutathione which helps to detoxify the liver and cleanse the body. Although they can be consumed cooked or raw, raw is always best.
6. Cranberries – although these fruits are more commonly used to help with urinary tract infections, they are antibacterial and are known to remove many different toxins from your body. Cranberries provide immune and cardiovascular support, as well as promote digestive health.
7. Garlic – is known to help boost the immune system and also contain sulfur, a mineral that helps to rid the body of toxins. It has natural antibiotic properties which helps the body to heal and is proven to be more effective than prescribed antibiotics.
8. Ginger – is one of the most potent disease fighting spices. Ginger spikes your metabolism, flushes out waste, and is thought to help liver function, and has some astringent properties
9. Grapefruit – contains just over 70 milligrams of liver cleansing glutathione and can help to prevent weight gain, reduces inflammation, treat diabetes, lower cholesterol, fight cancer, heal stomach ulcers, reduce gum disease and even keep stroke and metabolic syndrome at bay. It helps to fire up the liver and other organs in the body to work at their optimum levels.
10. Lemons – stimulate the release of enzymes and helps to convert toxins into a water-soluble form that can be easily excreted from the body. Drinking lemon water, which is alkaline-forming, first thing in the morning will help to balance out the acidity of foods you’ve consumed. They also have an incredible effect in detoxing the liver.
11. Onions – aside from making you tear up and help with your sinuses and allergies, onions are loaded with sulfur-containing amino acids, which efficiently detox the liver.
12. Parsley – contains beta-carotene and vitamins A, C and K to protect your kidneys and bladder and since it’s a diuretic it helps with bloating.
13. Pineapples – this tropical fruit contains bromelain, which is a digestive enzyme that helps to cleanse your colon and improve digestion. Excessive inflammation, excessive coagulation of the blood, and certain types of tumor growth may all be reduced by bromelain.
14. Spinach – this is one of the vegetables that if eaten raw will help immensely because it contains glutathione which helps to detoxify the liver. But, the kicker is that you must consume it raw, once cooked it will not have the same effects.
15. Tomatoes – tomatoes do a great job detoxifying the liver, containing 169 milligrams of glutathione per serving. They also contain lycopene which has been shown to protect against breast, skin and lung cancer. Again it’s best if ingested raw for the best nutritional value and they taste delicious with a bit of sea salt and balsamic vinegar. Creating a salad with spinach, tomatoes and avocados will help to not only detoxify your body but tastes delicious too!
Remember that there is not magic diet that will help you to lose weight or cleanse your body. Drinking lots of water will certainly help to release toxin build up in your body and eating raw fruits and vegetables is always best. Keeping your digestive system and liver happy will keep your body functioning at its optimum level and staying active always helps as well.