Are you sensitive to all the different holiday smells but still want your home smelling good for Christmas? Well, you’re in luck below are 7 ways to make your home smell good without affecting your allergies.
1. Diffuse Essential Oils – This is always a good idea during the Winter months anyway since diffusing essential oils can help kill bacteria and viruses in the air and make it so that you can sick less often. The smell from diffusing essential oils lasts a pretty long time and few people have allergies to real therapeutic grade essential oils. One of my favorites mixes contains cinnamon, clove, and orange essential oils. Some of my favorite essential oils are NOW foods essential oils. You can check them out for yourself here –> NOW Foods Essential Oils
2. Make a natural air freshener – This is a fun project to do with your family and you can use everyday items you may already have in your kitchen. Take a saucepan filled with water, add cinnamon sticks, orange peels and whole or ground cloves let the saucepan simmer on the stove and you will enjoy a wonderful aroma throughout your home. Another combination that you may enjoy is pine, bay leaves, and nutmeg. Snip a few springs from your Christmas tree or needles, 4 bay leaves and 1 whole nutmeg to water and simmer.
3. Burn natural soy or palm wax candles – Candles made from paraffin wax create a lot of soot and are horrible for the environment and for your health no matter if you have allergies or not. Obviously, this one will only work if you are able to handle candles and the perfumes. Make sure that if you do try this one, that you find a candle that is completely natural and made from soy preferably.
4. Decorate with dried herbs – This is another way to get a great smell and yet enjoy them without allergies and with some added health benefits. Again as with all of these suggestions you’ll want to make sure that whatever herbs you use are ones that you do not have a reaction to. Just go through your kitchen cabinets and you’ll be amazed how delicious the herbs smell, such as basil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary.
5. Bring a little of outdoors inside – Instead of opting for artificial smelling candles or aerosol sprays bring a little of the outdoors inside. Decorate your home with pine cones or springs of pine trees. Cut a few springs from your Christmas tree and make a wreath or simply place on your counters for a beautiful clean smell.
6. Make apple cider with cinnamon – instead of drinking the cider right away let the smell from the pot boiling absorb into the air. Who doesn’t enjoy a nice glass of apple cider at Christmas time?
7. Essential Oils in your vacuum – Put a few drops of essential oils inside your vacuum bag and vacuum your house. You need to clean and vacuum your house anyway so you might as well use some NOW essential oils to deodorize the carpet and to create a nice smell.
These are simply a few ways you can enjoy some delicious smells in your home without allergic reactions. Of course, if one or two of these still promote allergic reactions, try a different method. It’s always best to go natural and avoid chemical smells in aerosols in your home.