A revolution is in education is occurring and we are experiencing this very important time in history firsthand. Real education is bursting at the seams, but if you’re not properly prepared it can be the best of times or the worst of times to home educate.
The best time to home educate is now. Why? Because, it doesn’t matter what social or economic background you have, anyone can achieve an education of excellence on par with the leaders and the elite by choosing to home educate. The books are available at our fingertips from the local library and online –often free or instantly download electronically, especially the classics. Buying books new or used is easy as we can also access mentors and experts and make connections with the most influential people of our time all with the click of a button.
The worst time to home education is now. Why? Families new to home educating exiting the failing public education system, often end up experiencing frustration and burnout rather than success. This is due to duplicating the public model at home opting for the latest in this curriculum or that. Today we have more information available to us than ever before which can be overwhelming and often times leads people down rabbit trails costing time, money and a quality education. The latest and greatest can sound wonderful but once you get home and try to implement what is not designed with the family in mind, it’s an uphill battle. Your children’s education is not an experiment.
Parents, you’re at the heart of education in your home as you raise the next generation that will impact the world and continue our culture. To say there’s a lot at stake is an understatement. The education revolution at home is really our calling to focus on a lifestyle of learning, ensuring we are tuned into providing the education our children truly need. This can sometimes feel like an impossible task as we’re unsure what they will face beyond our years.
The next generation we are now raising has exponential potential. As home educator’s we must step up to plate and provide them with the education that will truly serve them. It’s important to embrace them now with where they are but also keep in mind the long-term scope of our children moving into serving their purpose. We’re going for the long-term, not just for a test or grade.
8 areas of focus to deliver excellence in education at home that stands the test of time:
- Knowing the child’s highest values, life purpose: If you haven’t gone through this process with me I highly recommend it. Our children are revealing their highest values all the time. However, if we dismiss or distract from them, we are leading them away from their purpose. Even the youngest is on point with their learning, collecting and experiences to grow to their highest good to serve their natural born purpose. This is where we’re also able to communicate and relate with them better, to customize the education for greatest success and honor for each child.
- Creating a partnership to walk beside child and mentor through all learning phases: This is all about letting go of teacher practices and walking beside your children as partners, mentoring them to success in all they do. An effective mentor knows to focus not only on the child’s academics but also her own modeling and seeing the child as a whole being considering all factors of his success.
- Creating a love for learning and environment conducive to learning and thriving: Your home is the perfect place for your children to learn and thrive. Focus on creating a “Smithsonian” rather than “Better Homes and Garden.” When the whole family loves to learn children are turned on to greater potentials.
- Reading the classics as a foundation: The classics have stood the test of time, not just serving high quality information and learning, but also exemplifying excellence in writing. Reading the classics are a great form of educational entertainment, but they also build vocabularies, improve writing and language skills and develop historical perspectives not found elsewhere. Leaders are readers and through reading the classics children are exposed to rich experiences and character lessons they may not have access to otherwise.
- Developing a deep understanding of history: Whole story history takes precedence here so we can learn from our past, identify life patterns and develop a vision for the future. This understanding contributes to great leadership influence. Studying history teaches us of what we’re made of, how others have come before us doing great and mighty works.
- Learning and practicing entrepreneurship: It will take more creativity and a strong sense for business to succeed in the future. Most of our children won’t have typical jobs, but will be specialized in serving their life purpose. Entrepreneurship gives you power to create your own economy and afford the lifestyle of true freedom. Even if some of our children find themselves in an employee situation, they will be advanced in their vision to act as a business owner in service to the company that employs them.
- Building communication skills in writing and speaking: This means going deeper with knowledge, seeing its relevancy and relating to it. When living purposefully it’s important to convey important messages, movements, knowledge and solutions through both spoken and written word.
- Establishing a deep understanding in math: This almost goes without saying, however so many people neglect this all important topic. Our world is so technologically saturated, studies in math and sciences will allow children to navigate through everyday life more effectively. To have a deep understanding in math and to read math classics gives a person the advantage with knowledge that extinguishes fear. Don’t let fear or lack of self-discipline keep you or your children from a deep understanding of math.
With our current knowledge and understanding we cannot know what exactly to prepare our children for but what we can do is prepare them well with the ability to thrive through the focus on these 8 areas I’ve shared here with you today. This is the foundation with the vital components that will carry them forward fifty to a hundred years. No longer do you need to stress or worry. As their mentor, you understand the importance to see the broad vision, always moving towards education excellence that’s customized for each child, an education that’s sustainable and will stand the test of time.